Are you a fan of moist, cinnamon infused cakes? What about sugar free, naturally coloured, creamy frosting? Well look no further friends, these cinnamon cupcakes with blackberry cashew frosting are here to bring a little Autumn magic into your life this September!
The perfect cakes to see you into the new season, flavoured with Autumn’s famous spice, cinnamon, and decorated with a sweet garnish of late summer blackberries and a lush cashew blackberry frosting.
Cupcakes have always been my favourite type of cake. I’m not a huge fan of big cakes as I often find them dry and a little intimidating to get through. Cupcakes seem to be much easier to devour and easier to snack on throughout the day. Especially with a cup of chai, my favourite!
These beauties are moist with a tender, fluffy crumb which is the perfect base to the swirly vanilla frosting. These little cakes are just the thing for giving away to friends and family, or bringing to a party.
They’re refined sugar free and dairy free – including the creamy frosting! The sweetness comes from coconut sugar, coconut milk and maple syrup, I promise you can’t even tell that there’s no sugar in them though. The soft pastel purple frosting is coloured naturally using blackberry juice. If you don’t have blackberries, you can use blueberries to get the same colour, or just keep it plain and flavour with vanilla or more cinnamon!
The recipe comes together in one bowl and a food processor. You can make the frosting up to two days before to save time and the cakes stay fresh and moist in a tin for up to a week. The frosting tastes great spread on toast too, especially topped with figs and blackberries.
I’m so excited for all the Autumn bakes and treats I have coming your way, I think this is my favourite time of year for recipes creating. Do you have any requests for recipes you’d like to see?
I’d love to hear if you make these cupcakes! Please leave me a comment or rating below, or take a snap and tag me on Instagram @bos.kitchen.
Sending you love and hugs xoxoxoxo
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed mixed with 5 tbsp water)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup cashews, soaked and drained *see notes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup blackberries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Start by preparing frosting. Mash blackberries to a pulp in a small bowl with a fork. Add all frosting ingredients to a food processor and blend for 7-8 minutes, until really smooth and creamy. Stop and scrape down the sides of the processor as needed. Set aside frosting to chill in the fridge.
- Heat oven to 180•c and line a cupcake tin with 10 cases.
- In a large bowl, beat coconut sugar, butter and molasses together until smooth. Add in flax eggs and mix again to combine. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add soy milk and mix with a spoon. The batter should be thick, but pourable. Spoon batter into cupcake cases about ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.
- Fill a piping bag with a large star tipped nozzle and spoon in blackberry frosting. Swirl on top of cupcakes and top with sprinkles and blackberries.
*Cashews can be soaked overnight in cold water, or boiling water for 20 minutes. Use enough water just to cover them, drain and rinse well before using.