Are you a fan of salted caramel? If so, this recipe is gonna be right up your street! Light, creamy and surprisingly healthy, these little salted caramel tarts are just what you need to celebrate the start of spring. No bake, dairy, gluten and refined sugar free, they’re the perfect dessert for when you want something sweet yet light.…
Double chocolate and raspberry has to be a match made in heaven, right? I love brownies but raspberries take this bake to a whole new level. …
This month has been full of change. In a really good way. So far I’ve been to a festival in a forest, spent five days in London with my best friend and made some really interesting new connections. It’s only the 19th already! I feel like I’ve learnt to embrace this rollercoaster of a year and welcome whatever else is coming my way with open arms. I definitely don’t feel like I’m the same person I was at the start of the year. It’s weird how sometimes a few months can make you feel like you’ve grown so much. I am truly grateful for the lessons this year has taught me. Without all of them, I wouldn’t be in this place right now. It’s a good feeling knowing it was all for a reason. I have so many plans for the next few months too, so it looks like the end of the year will continue to be eventful!
Anyway, back to breakfast cakes…. these little buckwheat babies are so simple to make and although they look like sweet little tarts, they are loaded with goodness. These raw, gluten free shells are free from nuts and sugar, and a couple in the morning will keep you going until lunch. Buckwheat is a super nutritious whole grain, great at fighting off those mid morning hunger pangs. Cacao is a natural anti depressant and improves your mood.. sounds like perfect Monday morning fuel to me! Load them up with yoghurt and your fave fruits, or make the shells in advance and decorate before serving. I guess these would make great party snacks too. I’m tempted to make them even smaller, into little canapés… I love tiny things! Unless we’re talking jars of peanut butter, then the bigger the better…
Cacao buckwheat breakfast tarts
For the tart shells (makes about 8 small tarts)
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 1 tsp lucama powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 100ml water
For the filling
- 1/2 cup non dairy yoghurt
- 1 vanilla pod (deseeded)
- Fresh fruit
- Black sesame seeds and mint for garnish
- Roughly pulse buckwheat, lucama and cacao in a food processor until starting to crumble.
- Now add the dates, coconut oil and water and pulse until the mix comes together in a ball. Add water a tbsp at a time if it is too dry. You should be able to squish it between your fingers without it falling apart.
- Take out golf ball size lumps of dough and flatten in your palm. Press into a cupcake mould (I used a silicone one). Pop in the freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Mix vanilla pod seeds with non dairy yoghurt and spoon into your tart shells. Garnish with fresh fruit, sesame seeds and mint. Store in the freezer for up to a month. Best eaten after thawing out for 15 minutes.