Strawberry cookies and cream cheesecake is here! There seems to be so many cookies and cream recipes about lately, I couldn’t resist making my contribution with this delicious slice. It took a few attempts and several bags of cashews, but I’ve finally mastered it. The base is sweet and chewy like every good cookie should be and the filling is creamy and light with hints of vanilla. It’s refined sugar free, gluten free, raw and vegan. If you don’t have carob, by all means sub with cacao or cocoa, but carob really does give the best dark chocolate cookie flavour. This cheesecake is light and creamy and makes for a crowd pleasing dessert at a dinner party. My friends have enjoyed testing this one out for me! I’d love to see if you try it!
Recipe (Makes 12-14 slices)
- 1 cup unroasted buckwheat groats (or sub with more pecans)
- 1 cup whole raw pecans
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dried dates, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp carob powder
- 3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight in cold water and drained
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
Carob cookie crumb topping
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 tbsp carob
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- If you’re using buckwheat groats in your base, blend them for a few minutes in your blender until ‘sandy’, you want them to be finely ground, but not so much that it turns to flour.
- Add pecans, dates, coconut oil and carob to the ground buckwheat and pulse and blend until the mixture starts to stick together.
- Press mixture down firmly into a lined tin. I used a 28×18 cm slice tin. Pop in the fridge while you make the filling. If you’d like to make the crumb topping, add the dates, pecans, carob and maple syrup to your blender and pulse until crumbly. Set aside.
- Rinse out your blender and add cashews, coconut oil, coconut milk, lemon juice, maple syrup and salt. Process until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides half way through. Fold through the strawberries and cacao nibs.
- Pour the filling on top of the base and pop in the freezer to set for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and leave for 20-30 mins before slicing. Top with fresh strawberries and your carob cookie crumb.
Hi Bo, this is such a beautiful idea. I don’t Need to soak the buckwheat right? xoxo Janine
Hi Janine! No need to soak the buckwheat, no, would looooove to see if you try! Much love xoxoxo Bo