Strawberry season is still in full swing and there’s an abundance of summer berries everywhere. What better way to celebrate than with a beautifully moist and sweet strawberry cake? The sponge is soft, moist, melt in your mouth delicious and infused with strawberry pureé and strawberry essence. Instead of sugary frosting I topped it with a generous slather of coconut yoghurt, a fresh strawberry pureé, vegan sprinkles and juicy, ripe strawberries. It’s basically summer in a cake. You have to try it!
I have to admit, I am not really a cake person. Give me a banana bread, brownie or tart over a sponge cake any day. This cake has changed my mind. I literally ate four pieces in a row and then felt so worried about devouring the lot to myself I had to ring my neighbour at 9.30pm to come round and take the rest away from me! Foodie problems. I’m very grateful for my hungry neighbour.
The crumb is perfect, buttery and sweet just like a traditional dairy laden cake, thanks to the flax eggs and fresh strawberry pureé.
It cooks in just 30 minutes and requires minimal fuss. All the wet ingredients, including the strawberry pureé, come together in a blender or food processor, which I always prefer to using extra bowls!
To keep this cake light and fluffy, I used flax eggs and apple cider vinegar, but you could always try with chia eggs if you don’t have flax. Blending the sugar to a fine powder also makes for a finer, lighter crumb.
This cake really is a winner, I hope you get to try it! My neighbour is usually my harshest critic and doesn’t like anything too ‘healthy’ but absolutely loved this cake, I’m sure you’ll love it too.
Please let me know if you try this recipe, friends! Rate it, leave me a comment below or even better, take a pic and tag me on Instagram @bos.kitchen!
Happy summer, beauties!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup coconut/regular sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1.5 cups strawberry puree (14 oz strawbs, 4 tbsp water)
- 2 tsp strawberry essence
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 flax eggs (2tbsp flax seed, 6 tbsp water)
- 1 cup coconut yoghurt
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- ¼ vegan sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180•c and line a baking tin with baking paper. I used a 13" x 9" rectangular tin. Grind sugar to a fine powder in a food processor. Add to a large mixing bowl with flour, baking soda and salt. Mix briefly to combine.
- Make strawberry pureé by adding strawberries and water to a food processor or blender and mixing until smooth. Set aside ½ cup of the pureé for topping later. To the remaining pureé, add strawberry essence, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar and flax eggs. Pulse to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined, being careful not to overmix - this will make the cake dense, we want it light and fluffy!
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the edges are starting to turn golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool fully.
- Cover the cake with coconut yoghurt, fresh strawberries, strawberry pureé and sprinkles. Keeps well in the fridge for up to 2 days, but best enjoyed right away.