Cherry season is here! They taste so delicious right now. I love everything cherry flavour (including lip balms and fizzy cola bottles). Enter the perfect healthy treat to showcase this ruby red summer fruit, cherry coconut nice cream. The carob sauce is a firm staple in my kitchen, it’s luscious and gooey and a doddle to make. If you love dark chocolate, give carob a go. It’s more nutritionally dense than cacao and doesn’t contain caffeine which means it’s perfect to eat any time of the day! The toasted coconut chips on top of this take it to ice cream sundae level, so I’d really recommend making them. Cherry, carob and coconut may just be my new favourite thing.
Recipe (Makes enough for two, as pictured)
- 4 frozen bananas, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp Organic Burst maca (optional)
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut chips
- 2 tbsp carob powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- If you haven’t toasted your coconut chips, chuck the chips onto a small baking tray. Bake in the oven at 140°c and keep an eye on them. After about 10 minutes they should be starting to turn golden around the edges. Take out and leave to cool.
- Make your coconut nice cream by adding frozen bananas, coconut milk, vanilla extract, cashew butter, dates and maca powder (if using) to your blender or food processor. Pulse and mash every so often, adding a little coconut milk at a time until smooth. Add water bit by bit if you need to soften it.
- Smooth your first layer down in your jar(s). Split the remaining mix in half, adding the cherries to the half left in the blender. Mix well until smooth. Now scoop out the cherry nice cream and pop in the freezer with the coconut nice cream and your jar(s). Leave to set for at least 30 minutes.
- Make the carob sauce by mixing carob powder and maple syrup until smooth and glossy.
- Grab everything from the freezer and layer up! Top with your toasted coconut chips, carob sauce and fresh cherries on top!