Is there anything more rewarding than eating a plate of perfectly crispy potato wedges with fresh, zingy guacamole? I don’t think so. Here’s my step by step guide to one of my favourite meals ever. It’s worth taking extra care when making wedges, little changes can make such a big difference. Feel free to play around with the spices and make your own bespoke blend.
I’d love to hear what you think if you try this super simple recipe!
- 800g-1kg potatoes (bigger ones are best for finger sized, even wedges)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp hot chili powder (use a tsp if you only have regular chili powder)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 2 avocados
- Big handful of parsley or coriander
- Handful cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Juice of one lemon or lime
- Sea salt and pepper
- Put a large pan of water on to boil. Heat oven to 200 degrees and put two large baking sheets in the oven.
- Wash your potatoes well and slice into wedges- leave the skin on. The best way to slice them is to slice them in half length ways, then half again, the same way, keep going until you get even wedges. Long potatoes work best here!
- Boil your wedges for about 10-15 minutes, until you can pierce them with a fork. Depending on the potato, you may need longer here, but just keep testing. You want them to stay together so don’t over boil them.
- Drain the wedges and leave to rest in the colander.
- Make your spice mix by mixing smoked paprika, oregano, chili powder and salt and pepper in a small jar or cup.
- Gently tip wedges into a bowl and cover with the olive oil and spice mix, stir briefly until wedges are roughly coated. It’s okay if some parts aren’t quite covered, it all adds to the flavour party!
- Tip onto your hot baking sheets in a single layer (try not to have them on top of each other) and roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until evenly browned, turning half way through.
While the wedges are cooking, make your guacamole.
- Roughly mash avocados in a bowl. I like to leave it quite chunky, so only mash briefly.
- Add herbs, cherry tomatoes, lemon/lime juice and salt and pepper. Don’t hold back on the pepper.