A basic buckwheat smoothie recipe that I use pretty much every day. If you don’t have buckwheat, feel free to sub with oats, but buckwheat is pretty special. It’s a great source of plant based protein as it contains twelve amino acids that support energy and growth. Buckwheat has more protein that any rice, millet or corn; 100g of it contains almost 14g of protein. I can definitely say I feel fuller for longer when I add buckwheat to my smoothies.
- 1/2 cup of soaked buckwheat (soak overnight in water with a little ACV)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup of almond or other non dairy mylk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 dates
- 1 tbsp maca (I use Organic Burst)
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tbsp cacao (optional)
- Fruit, coconut and mint for toppings
- Rinse your soaked buckwheat well to remove the sticky residue. Add to blender with all the other ingredients apart from the cacao.
- If you want to make the caramel smoothie to swirl on top, empty half of your basic buckwheat smoothie into a bowl or jar. Now add the cacao the remaining smoothie and blend well.
- Put dollops of the cacao smoothie on top of your basic smoothie and blend in swirly patterns with a chopstick or knife.
- Top with fruit, coconut and mint.
Leave a Reply