Do you like pancakes? How about tropical fruits? If so, this recipe is for you! I’ve been trying to give all of my recipes a summery twist to celebrate this special season. These golden coconut pancakes with tropical fruits are my current favourite. Gluten free, dairy free and they pack a whole heap of tropical island vibes.
The base of these little golden babes is chickpea flour, which is naturally gluten free and works well in pancake and crêpe recipes. You can find it in the World Food aisle at supermarkets and is sometimes labelled as ‘gram’ or ‘besan’ flour. I tend to use it for savoury recipes, but I wanted to try it in a traditional sweet pancake recipe so I can enjoy pancakes without regular wheat flour at the weekend.
The batter comes together with Provamel Rice with Coconut drink, which has no added sugars is organic and full of 100% plant-based goodness! The Rice with Coconut drink works a treat with tropical flavours. It isn’t as heavy as full fat coconut milk, which makes a breakfast perfect for hot summer mornings.
Sweetened with cinnamon, banana and coconut sugar, these pancakes are sweet enough to be enjoyed with just a drizzle of maple syrup if you don’t have any fruit. Toppings always win though, right? I heaped on lots of Provamel Soya with Coconut alternative to yogurt Free From Sugars, tropical fruits, including grilled pineapple and passion fruit which I highly recommend!
You can make these pancakes ahead of time and simply reheat with a little coconut oil when ready to serve. You can even freeze them for a super speedy, fuss free breakfast. I like making a big stack on a Sunday morning to nibble on through the day.
We’ve been lucky enough to have a heatwave recently here in the UK, which is just wonderful! The thing I love the most about summertime is the fruit. Tropical fruit like coconut, pineapples, physalis, passion fruit and melon are all extra refreshing in the heat. These golden coconut pancakes are going to bring you all the summertime vibes, I hope you get to try them!
I’d be super happy to hear from you if you make these. Leave me a comment below, rate the recipe, or take a pic (my favourite) and tag me on Instagram @bos.kitchen.
Enjoy the sunshine, friends!
Love and coconuts xoxoxoxo
*This post is sponsored by Provamel, but all opinions are my own
- ¾ cup chickpea flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- 1.5 cup Provamel rice with coconut drink
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ pineapple, grilled
- 1 cup tropical fruit (I used passion fruit, physalis and blueberries)
- ½ cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 lime
- Mix all dry pancake ingredients in a large mixing bowl with a fork. Add the Provamel rice with coconut drink and 2 tbsp melted coconut oil. The mixture should be thick, but runny. Stir well and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Heat up a frying pan with 1 tbsp coconut oil to a medium heat. Stir through the pancake batter again, making sure it's smooth.
- Add 2 tbsp batter per pancake and cook until bubbles appear. Flip and repeat on the other side. Keep pancakes warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with coconut yoghurt, tropical fruits, grilled pineapple and a big squeeze of lime.