Are you a lemon lover? If the answer is yes, you NEED these bars of sunshine in your life. These easy lemon bars are simple to prepare and full of tangy lemon flavour. A homemade lemon curd is layered onto a buttery shortbread base. If you love lemon, you’re going to adore these bars!
I’m a huge fan of lemon desserts, be it sorbet, ice cream, muffins, cake, yoghurt, pancakes with lemon, I always go for lemon flavour anything when I see it! The flavour is so refreshing and sweet without being too sickly so it’s a flavour I’ll use again and again in my recipes. Lemon seems perfect for spring too and always lifts my spirit. I used to enjoy eating lemons when I was a child and my little one seems to be taking after me, he’s forever pinching the lemon slice from my water.
Why you’re going to LOVE these lemon bars
- They’re loaded with real lemons for the ultimate mouthwatering tang!
- These bars are simple to make and come together in a few steps.
- Dairy free, vegan and easily made soy free and gluten free.
- The entire recipe can be prepared in under 30 mins.
How to prepare
- Start my preparing the base which is simply three ingredients, vegan butter, flour and sugar. Process in a bowl using your fingertips until it forms a sand like texture. You can also pulse it together in a food processor if you prefer.
- Preheat the oven and press the pastry into a lined baking dish. My dish measures 20cm square which I found perfect for this recipe, so I’d recommend using one as close to this size as possible. Pop in the oven for 20 mins.
- While the shortbread is cooling, prepare the lemon curd. This is really easy as you simply add all the curd ingredients to a small sauce pan, bring to the boil whilst stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to a simmer and keep stirring until it starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the lemon curd over the shortbread and allow to cool for at least three hours, ideally in the fridge. That’s it!
I’d love to hear if you make these bars! Leave me a comment below or take a snap and tag me on Instagram @bos.kitchen. Happy baking!
Easy lemon bars
- immersion blender or food processor
- 20cm square baking dish
- 2 cups plain flour (see notes for gluten free option)
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (around 3/4 lemons)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1.5 tbsp agar agar
- 1/2 cup soft tofu (see notes for soy free option)
- pinch turmeric, ground
- Preheat oven to 180*c and line a square baking dish (mine is 20cm) with greaseproof paper.
- Add flour, butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl and process with your fingers until it forms a rough, sandy texture. Press into the baking dish and bake for 20 mins, until golden.
- While the shortbread is cooling, make lemon curd by adding all curd ingredients apart from the tofu to a small pan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and stir for 4-5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and add soft tofu. Blend using an immersion blender or in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Pour on top of the shortbread and allow to chill in the fridge for 3 hours, or until the top has set. Slice into bars and enjoy immediately or freeze for up to 2 weeks.