This recipe is one you’re going to want to make over and over again, I promise! I’ve recently fallen in love with making pastry and I have been very excited to finally share my go to pastry recipe with you. For me, pastry screams out for berries, so of course I had to fill these little tarts with the first of the season’s strawberries. With a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream, you’ll feel like you’re in the middle of summer when you bite into one of these babies!
Pastry is really much simpler to make than you think. I only use four ingredients to make mine and it comes out perfect every time. The trick is to use a food processor if you have one, as this stops everything getting too warm and it comes together in less than two minutes. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a fork instead – I’ve included instructions below.
As long as the pastry is kept cool, it’s really easy to work with. Finally, my ice cold hands have come in useful for something! If you live in a hot country, you may need to pop the pastry back in the fridge between cutting to keep it cool. You can also make the pastry up to three days in advance, just allow it to sit on the counter for ten minutes before you start working with it.
I’ve kept these little tarts refined sugar free, as I really wanted the strawberries to be the star of the show. Sprinkled with a little cornflour and lemon juice before baking, you really don’t need any extra sugar, but feel free to add a little maple syrup or coconut sugar if you prefer them very sweet. You can also adapt this recipe to blueberries or blackberries if you prefer.
If you haven’t made a tart like this before, I suggest getting some little tins like the ones I’ve used, as it’s much easier to cut out shapes and decorate. It’s also easier to get the hang of lattice work on a smaller scale too (which is also way easier than it looks, trust me). I just used some cake and cookie cutters for the heart shapes, which you can easily find online. If you’re looking for a step by step guide to making a lattice crust, check out this tutorial here.
These tarts take just 15 minutes to bake, so make the pastry in advance and you can have a super delicious dessert ready in an instant when you get those pastry cravings!
I’d love to know if you try this recipe, or have any suggestions on what kind of tarts you’d like to see me make next! I find making pastry so therapeutic, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Please leave me a comment below, rate the recipe or take a snap and tag me on Instagram @bos.kitchen so I can see, nothing makes me happier than seeing your take on my recipes!
- 200g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 100g vegan margarine
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups strawberries, chopped into quarters
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Add flour, salt and vegan margarine to a food processor and pulse until crumbly. If you don't have a food processor, cut up together with a fork. Mix 3 tbsp olive oil with 3 tbsp cold water and add to the food processor/bowl. Pulse or combine until a dough is formed.
- Wrap dough in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 200•c.
- In a medium bowl, mix strawberries with cornflour and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Remove pastry from the fridge and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Cut to size to fit your tart tins and gently press into tins as evenly as possible.
- Fill tarts with strawberries and top with your favourite pastry design.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the pastry is golden.