I’m back! It’s been a long time since I posted here, thank you for checking in. I’ve had a baby in the time I’ve been away, so I hope you’ll forgive me for being absent. Now he’s almost one and I have a fabulous baby sitter giving me a hand each day so I’m looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and creating delicious vegan recipes again.
To start us off with a bang, I bring you these seriously tempting CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS. The result of my late night dessert fantasies. A soft, slightly chewy chocolate chip cookie cup loaded with a light and silky peanut butter filling and topped with a dollop of gorgeously creamy and rich chocolate ganache frosting. The texture of these is something else, seriously! Anything that involves chocolate and peanut butter is pretty much an instant win for me.
I had every intention to share these with friends and neighbours, but somehow I’ve managed to devour all but two of the batch entirely by myself. Testament to how delish they are!
The recipe is actually super simple and once you’ve made the cookie cups it’s all very straightforward. If you don’t have brown sugar, sub for any other sugar you have, even coconut sugar would work. Just be sure to set a timer when the cookies first go in, as they need to be part baked when you push them into the tin to create the little cups.
Chocolate peanut butter cups
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Peanut butter filling
- 1/2 package firm silken tofu
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut milk *see notes
- 2 tbsp agave or other liquid sweetener
Chocolate ganache frosting
- 100 ml coconut milk *see notes
- 100 grams chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180•c and grease a muffin pan. Mix flaxseed with water in a small dish to form a gel and set aside. Prep cookies by creaming brown sugar and butter together in a bowl or stand mixer. Add flax egg, baking powder, soda, flour, chocolate chips, salt and vanilla to the bowl and mix briefly to combine to a dough. Add a ping pong ball size of cookie dough to each muffin pan hole. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and using the back of a scoop or large spoon, push cookies down into muffin tin to form cups. Cook for another 5 mins, then remove and allow to cool.Prepare chocolate ganache frosting by heating coconut cream in a small pan until steaming. Remove from the heat and stir through the chocolate chips until melted. Allow to cool fully then whisk together with the butter and icing sugar until smooth and glossy. To make pb filling, add tofu, peanut butter, coconut cream and agave to a food processor until smooth and creamy. Spoon filling evenly between cookie cups and pop in the freezer to set for 30 mins. Add ganache frosting to a piping bag and swirl a little frosting on each cookie cup.