Impress your loved ones with these scrumptious puff pastry hearts. Whipped vanilla cream and fresh strawberries are sandwiched between buttery puff pastry. So light, rich and fresh, they taste as good as anything you’d find in your favourite patisserie. The best bit? They are SO simple to make, just 5 ingredients needed and they’ll be ready in less than 30 minutes!
If you’re looking for a super simple yet impressive and delicious dessert then these strawberry and cream filled puff pastry hearts are for you! There’s heart shaped treats a plenty at the minute and I’m here for it! Of course these would make the perfect gift for your valentine, but they’ll be sure to add the wow factor to any table, whatever the occasion.
I used dairy free whipping cream to fill these and it was SO good, I can’t believe how many incredible vegan alternatives there are in the supermarkets these days. I used Oatly whippable cream which comes in a 250ml carton, meaning you’ll have some left over for other things, my leftover whipped cream tastes amazing on top of coffee or hot chocolate. Naturally, I thought of strawberries immediately when I found the whipping cream but these pastry hearts would be just as delicious with raspberries, blackberries or fresh peaches! The puff pastry is one of those ‘accidentally vegan’ things, just check the packet to be sure.
Why you’re going to fall in love with these puff pastry hearts –
- Only 5 ingredients needed
- Ready in less than 30 minutes
- A classic, delicious flavour of strawberries and cream
- Light, creamy and fruity
- Minimal effort, anybody can make these!
How to make them –
Begin by rolling out the puff pastry sheet. Roll it into a large rectangle then fold it in half, this will make it easier to slice the hearts in half once baked. Cut out heart shapes using a 4 inch cookie cutter and bake in the oven for 9-10 minutes until puffed up and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing in half.
Whip the dairy free whipping cream with vanilla extract until super thick. Pipe or spread onto half a puff pastry heart, top with fresh strawberries, another layer of whipped vanilla cream then top with the other half of the heart. Sprinkle with a generous dusting of icing sugar and serve, ta da! It really couldn’t be easier. Sometimes the easiest recipes are the most delicious too, right?
More about this recipe –
I managed to make about 8 hearts out of this recipe, which is a good job as half of them seemed to disappear almost immediately. Of course you can use any shape you like for this recipe if you don’t have a heart cookie cutter, but I recommend using one around 4 inches wide so you have enough room to stuff them with a suitable amount of cream and strawberries.
They’re best eaten immediately, but you can store them in the fridge for a couple of days if you’re lucky enough to have any left over. Just bear in mind that the pastry won’t be as crisp. Want to try a delicious main to enjoy before this pudding? Why not try my Tomato heart tart?
Let me know if you make these puff pastry hearts
Puff pastry hearts
- 320 grams ready rolled puff pastry
- 125 ml vegan whipping cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 100 grams fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200*c and line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Roll out puff pastry to a large rectangle and fold in half. Cut out as many hearts as you can using a 4 inch heart cookie cutter, I made about 8. Place the hearts on the cookie tray and bake in oven for 9-10 minutes, until puffed up and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl whip up vegan whipping cream with the vanilla extract with an electric whisk until thick.
- Using a serrated knife, slice hearts in half and pipe a layer of cream on the base. Top with sliced strawberries and another layer of cream, followed by the other half of the heart. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve immediately.