Sorbet is the perfect after dinner treat. Light, sweet and beautifully refreshing, a little of this rich sorbet goes a long way. It’s really easy to make, you don’t even need an ice cream maker and it has just five ingredients. …
Blueberry buckwheat parfait
Creamy, sweet, filling and nutritious. These little blueberry beauties are sure to get your day off to a good start! If you don’t have any black currants, just sub them for more blueberries. These take less than five minutes to prepare, just remember to soak your cashews and buckwheat the night before. You do need some frozen bananas too, so don’t forget to pop a couple in the freezer! I always have a tonne pre frozen, I think I presume most people are as banana obsessed as I am.
Buckwheat is naturally gluten free (it’s actually from the rhubarb family) and full of fibre and B vitamins, meaning it’s a great addition to breakfast. It also contains tryptophan which is a natural anti depressant! Just one cup of buckwheat provides 25% of your RDA of tryptophan. It’s pretty awesome stuff.
Blueberries and blackcurrants are from a powerful family of blue fruits and veggies. Anything blessed with this beautiful colour helps fight inflammation in the body, boosts your immune system and contains anti cancer compounds. I’d love to know if you try this simple breakfast parfait!
Blueberry buckwheat parfait (makes 2 parfaits)
- 3/4 cup buckwheat (soaked overnight in water, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight in water, rinsed and drained)
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup black currants
- 1 tsp acai powder (optional)
Extra berries and mint for decorating (I used leftover brownie crumble too)
- Rinse your soaked buckwheat well, until the water runs clear and the sticky residue is removed. Rinse your cashews too.
- Add rinsed buckwheat, cashews, frozen bananas, vanilla extract and coconut milk to your blender and blend until smooth. You want it to be thick but pourable, so add a little water if you need to.
- Pour the mixture into your glasses until 3/4 full. To the remaining mix in the blender, add blueberries, black currants and acai powder and blend until smooth.
- Top up your jars with the purple mix and decorate with more berries, brownie crumble and mint.